What are the signs & symptoms of PCOS
Women with PCOS might experience one or all of these symptoms:
- 90% of women with PCOS experience irregular menstrual cycles. Approximately 50% will not menstruate, whilst 30% will have abnormal bleeding patterns.
- PCOS is the most common cause of ovulatory failure (menstrual bleeding does not necessarily indicate ovulation). Approximately 75% of women with PCOS develop infertility.
- Between 50-70% of women with PCOS are estimated to have insulin resistance – irrespective of body weight.
- Approximately 40% are overweight.
- 60 % have excess/ male pattern body hair (hirsutism).
- A rare symptom is the development of a deeper voice and changes in body shape.
The generally held view is that PCOS is caused by an excess of androgen production in the ovary. Androgens can exert masculinising effects, but usually circulate in small amounts in the blood of all women without causing any problems. There are a number of theories regarding the cause of androgen excess. Lately consensus is building on the role of insulin resistance and glucose intolerance. The hypothalamic-pituitary unit and adrenal gland are also involved. PCOS may also be inherited; around 40% of women in families with PCOS have the condition, though not all develop symptoms.
“Having had Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome nearly all my life I have suffered from the debilitating symptoms no woman wants- hirsutism, acne, weight gain, miscarriage, irregular menstruation – and a lot of difficulty in becoming pregnant.
Amanda has given me herbal medicine tailored to my needs, vital information on diet plus endless support. This approach has worked well for me. I’m now a proud mum, have regular periods, am steadily losing weight and much of the unwanted hair growth.”
Barbara F, Stockport, Cheshire.
“I consulted Amanda regarding persistent acne. When she suggested I might have PCOS I was upset and very shocked. After reviewing blood test results my doctor confirmed the diagnosis. The herbal medicine Amanda prescribed has helped me to get my health problem under control.
Thank You! Any skeptics out there, please try it, you will be amazed!"
Liz W. Birkenhead.